Thursday, January 16, 2014

Busy, Busy with Common Core

Yes, Common Core is keeping us busy!  On our first week in January we worked on CCS RI 2.3 Describe the connection between a series of historical events.  So we have been busy reading about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and learning about biographies and timelines.  Because my students are transitioning into English I always let them choose what language they want to read and write in.  I want them to feel comfortable reading and writing in English but I can tell when they just cannot understand what they are reading so I provide the material in their native language or it's just time wasted.

In this assignment my students were able to read about four events in the life of Dr. King and pull out the important details. (Of course after I modeled and we did our guided practice together.)  The tough part was making the connection from one event to the next.

This week we also had the famous ACCESS testing.  A test that measures English Acquisition in Listening, Reading and Writing.  Next week is a three day week!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment